Monday, February 21, 2011

Tea Dying versus Coffee

I have seen a log of bloggers talk about tea dying their linen and thought I would add my two cents worth.  I love tea dyed things and have done a lot of it on my embroidery stitcheries so when I was in at Shepherd's Bush last month I asked them about it.  They told me that tea has acid in it that will eventually destroy the fibers of your project and they recommended that you coffee dye only.  There is also a Rit dye out there that would probably be safer as well. 

Hope this helps save someone's beautiful project.

Peggy H.

4 comments:

  1. Agree Peggy! Learned that from the very first Shepherd's Bush retreat in 1999...Ann and Pat from R&R taught us that and I've never forgotten it. That's one of the reasons I buy coffee! heehee...the other is that occasionally my darling fabulous sister comes for a visit and I wouldn't want her to be without some java! I even have a coffee maker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I never have tea in the house but I did coffee dye some linen for Family Sampler by Shepherd's Bush. I am sooo jealous that you are close by enough to visit them. You have a wonderful blog and your workouts have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you posted this! I was planning on tea dying a piece of fabric for a very large project and I came upon your blog for the very first time. Thank you for this bit of information. I do have a couple of questions. The coffee, seems to me would have to be on the weak side so that the "dye" wouldn't be too dark. Correct? Also, would you use something to set it with? Vinegar? Salt? I've really enjoyed your blog and will be your newest follower! I'm over at http://lindalees-crossnmystitches.blogspot.com/ After seeing you beautiful blog, I realize that I have such a long way to go! May I share your tip about tea versus coffee dying? Keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete